Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Barack OBOOYAH

Lets talk a little bit about the election that is to come. I am going to focus on Barack because he is obviously the canidate of interest right now. That title has nothing to do with his performance or my support. I just wanted to prove my cleverness once again. Lord knows if I was to officially endorse any canidate it would be done live on the Daily Show.

I was going to go on a side tangent about how Ron Paul did not do anything his supporters thought he was going to do. But I will leave it alone. It is not polite to talk about the deceased.

I kid...I kid. I know nothing of his Politics.

I believe Mr. Paul and Mr. Kucinich are going to start touring. Performing as a two man, odd couple type show. At one point I think they do an entire dance with Dennis on Ron's shoulders. It is breathtaking. The show is called R & D on D & R.

On to Barack. I am in the process of reading his book. So I am seriously trying to figure out where I stand. I was listening to him on NPR this morning and I think I put my finger on my problem with him. No concrete ideas. The thing with Obama is that he doesn't deny that he doesn't have any concrete ideas/policies. He simply says that it is more important to get people focused in the right direction than to have a clear idea the best way to make that direction work. Here is a segment from the interview.

NPR : I Assume you will still be talking about change?

Obama : Well, Change, but in very specific terms. I think that one of the points I have been trying to make over the last several weeks is that, when I talk about change, It is not some gauzy pie in the sky change. I am talking about making sure we have a Healthcare system where every American can get Healthcare that is as good as the healthcare I have as a member of congress.....

NPR : Although, that is something...Just to take that specific goal, is something people have been trying for years and have had only incrimental success. Can you name one concrete thing you can do that any of the other canididates would not do, to move things forward?

Ready for some concrete ideas?

Obama : It is going to require the American people...enlisting them in putting pressure on congress for us to make it happen. This is part of the point that I have been trying to make Steve. There are no shortage of plans out there. There are no shortage of policy papers. This is not a technical problem. It is a problem of politics. It is a problem of getting a big enough coalition of people who are organized, inspiried, mobalized, and will then put pressure on those who are elected in combination with a president who is able to lead in order to get it done. There are no magic solutions here. The problems that we face, wether it is climate change or healthcare or making college more affordable or dealing with our foreign policy is less a problem of getting the perfectly calibrated policy. It has to do with, are we able to get people to work in the same direction? And that's what I can do.

When Obama starts out here, he is clearly trying to put down the idea that his idea of change is not some pie in the sky idea. His entire last statement confirms that it indeed is. I can appreciate the CEO who can delegate and inspire the true talent but I think I am going to need some concrete ideas before I can support this man.

It is almost like he is saying that We the people should be putting pressure on elected officials so that they can then make the people put even more pressure on elected officials.


On the other hand:

His speech after the Iowa caucus was pretty damn good. I seriously am concerned about the idea of someone assasinating Obama or Clinton. My worst fear is that people get lined up behind Obama as our saviour and he gets taken out. It will be devestating. It will be like JFK all over again.

10 Comments:

Blogger Bean said...

Holy Carp! Somebody shot JFK?!

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Obama change is mostly the idea that the Bush/Clinton bickering that has wasted the last 20 years of political progression has been caused by an unwillingness to put differences aside and instead waste American tax dollars having pissing matches about who is in power. Because his major objective is to bring people together for a common cause he attempts, when possible, talking in definitive objectionable debates, but rather a more general middle of the road lets get all the players at the table and talk about how to make this America better.(opposed to the two Americas that John Edwards lives in) Let me know what you think about the book. I assume you are reading "audacity of hope" I liked it

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that avoiding talking in definitive objectionable debate

4:39 PM  
Blogger Bleach said...

Yes...Audacity of Hope.

Don't get me wrong. I do kind of like what he is trying to do.

There is just so much threatning stuff going on I think he needs to at least mention some specific ideas. Maybe he is saving it for the real debates. Still early.

4:52 PM  
Blogger fooiemcgoo said...

sometimes i am too on the fence about this guy.

on one hand, i can see your point that you want a stand. on the other hand, maybe he is right. maybe a leader is all that is needed to push through ideas. think about an effective leader in a workplace. they don't do the day-to-day heavy lifting, they let their subordinates do it and support them while manging above and below them. they rarely come up with the "good ideas".

on the other-other hand, who says that good ideas and the ability to effectively manipulate the estblishment are mutually exclusive?

7:49 PM  
Blogger fooiemcgoo said...

good blog dude.

let's go sking.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Bean said...

"Because his major objective is to bring people together for a common cause"

Now I'm no expert on politics, but hasn't every president in the past 20 years claims to be a "uniter" ?

9:15 AM  
Blogger Bleach said...

Lets say you need boxes moved from shelf A to shelf B.

All of the workers are currently dragging all the boxes through the mud that lies between the two shelves to move them. Even if the boss can get everyone and their momma fired up about moving the boxes, he/she should at least mention that you might want to start by picking the motherfuckers up.

If he had even some general recomendations (I am not talking about detail specific plans), I would be more satisfied. As a matter of fact, if he would couple some general ideas with his ability to lead, it would be difficult not to vote for him.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Bleach said...

What a horrible analogy.

Why would there be mud in a warehouse first of all.

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Download "The blueprint for change"
http://www.barackobama.com/issues/

if your really interested it has the short scoop and a more detailed explanation on each issue

This is not an endorsement

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
Who links to me?