Thursday, July 06, 2006

Hmmm

So everytime I sit down to write a blog that is not about radom silliness (sillyness?) who cares, I end up getting to flustered to write about anything. I guess it is kind of like when you get sick of having deep conversations. My friend Matt and I had a discussion about how sometimes the people you have the deepest conversations with end up being the people who you talk to least. I think this is because A) it never really amounts to anything worthwhile or B) It never really amounts to anything worthwhile. I was going to have something else for "B" but "A" pretty much sums it up. There is only so many times you can come to the conclusion that what you do in your day to day life/work is pretty much meaningless. Then again, is it as meaningfull as anything else you could be doing? Who knows. The point is that deep conversation (which is most of the time the only type of conversation I enjoy having) usually for me leaves me more depressed. And to quote "Waking Life" leads me to the question of "Which is the most prominent human characteristic, FEAR or LAZINESS?" I believe it is a combination of the two.

The point is this. Whatever it is that you do with your day to day life is because you choose to. Although that sounds relatively simple, it isn't. Our lives are made up of the things that we convince ourselves we have to do, in reality we do not have to do anything. I could go get in my car right now and drive to Mexico and never be heard from again. So could you. So next time you get down on yourself for doing things that you "Have to do", Remember, that whatever it is you are doing is comendable, because it was your choice. Taking care of your baby is comendable, because some do not. Saying "I love you" to someone is comendable, because some do not.

The reason I hear "Brad, you are crazy" at least once a week is because that is how I make the moments when deep conversation is damn near impossible tolerable. The only way to not make yourself crazy thinking about the meaning of life, for me, is take most of it with a grain of salt. Not putting much importance on anything.

I guess the only point of this is to say that if one day anyone of you dissappears, know that I understand and I will probably see you in Mexico soon.

11 Comments:

Blogger fooiemcgoo said...

Someone push you in the shallow water, before you get too deep.

I think we had this conversation when I was at a low point whilst teaching. I think your point then, and now, is that you can quit your job and abandon your responsibilites if you really want to. That is it right? I hope I am not oversimplifying.

I would never abandon you, brad.

Of course, at some point everyone has to worry about the most basic needs, food, shelter and water, or they will die. So, you can't just stop doing everything. Even if you went to Mexico, you would have to get a job, and basically get a whole new set of responsibilites down there.

I would love to father and army of little mexican children down there.

6:52 AM  
Blogger Sassmouth said...

If you go, say hi to Andy and Red. They probably have that ship ready for sailing by now. If that no good warden could see them now!

Brad, we're on the same page. The problem is our society basically requires you to have a job to survive. So the trick is finding a job that gives your life meaning. I'm still working on that. So far I've been concentrating on things outside of work that give my life meaning. I've been thinking more and more about what kind of job could give my life meaning.

I've wondered what it would be like to be a homeless/jobless person in a big city. That might be an interesting survival challenge to try sometime.

11:12 AM  
Blogger fooiemcgoo said...

maybe you guys should go join a commune, you dirty hippies.

what society does not require jobs? where is this utopia?

1:21 PM  
Blogger Bleach said...

It is called America....Plenty of people survive without jobs.

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

work to live, don't live to work. thats where all these views as life as meaningless begin. i am wholeheartedly responsible for falling in to this trap myself. when something consumes so much of your time and brainpower, you can easily lose sight of the (more) happy and fun you. thats where good friends come in to play, when you are lucky enough to have those, it becomes a little easier to keep those things that you truly enjoy doing in sight...

5:25 PM  
Blogger Sassmouth said...

people who survive without jobs need to get a job.

are you condoning living off of the "fat of the land" that hardworking people worked and fought for?

you suck.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Sassmouth said...

good call baltimore. that was very well put.

this is fooie and the last comment was too.

7:07 PM  
Blogger Bleach said...

I was not condoning anything, just answering your question.

8:40 AM  
Blogger fooiemcgoo said...

waa-waa-werd

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said Brad- I think taking everything with a grain of salt is the best way, and something I need to work on myself.

Midsummer Night's Run- Lexington Aug. 12th (saturday) admission $18

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
Who links to me?